Sunday, October 08, 2006

New Pieces - Sculptures

This is something really new for me, sculptures! It all started with a visit to Firedworks Gallery. The owner saw my 4" faux turquoise cross necklace and asked if I could make the same thing only larger. "Of course I can" I boasted. Did I stick my foot in it or what? After a couple of attempts, I finally came up with a 15" version. It turned out so good, that I had to try something even larger. My design parameters being limited to the size of my oven, I had to remember to scale the horse down a bit. What to do for bases to hold these things up? I remembered that I had a nice pile of beautiful cut timbers in the backyard. Perfect! I borrowed the neighbors tablesaw and squared them up. Then I whittled and cut, and glued and painted the bases.

The gallery loved these, and they took all of my sterling silver jewelry pieces, too. I'm making more with embedded stones and jewels. Of course, my mind is busy thinking of more designs.



"Turquoise Wall Cross" limited edition sculpture 15" tall x 11" wide.






"Turquoise Cross" limited edition sculpture on base 17" tall x 11" wide.







"Wild Horse Turquoise" limited edition sculpture on base 15" tall x 21" wide.

1 comment:

tlwest said...

Really Cool!!!