Monday, November 10, 2008

Observatory Progress

This week I have been lending a hand to get the new observatory build before winter sets in.  It will house the big telescope and astro imaging equipment. Building this observatory has been Tom's dream for many years. The dome will go up next. Tom will be able to control the dome, telescope and cameras, remotely, from within his "warm room". All very high tech and interesting.

Building this observatory is much like creating jewelry. You start with an idea, and then refine that idea into a do-able design. You gather the materials, and working with your hands, you turn that idea into reality. Different tools, different materials, but the process is the same.
I love taking something from my imagination to finished product. I enjoy solving the problems that crop up along the way, making adjustments to the design or materials. I find the whole creative process exciting and rewarding. With each new jewelry design, comes a chance to learn something new.
Snow is predicted for today, so I am back to work in my studio. I have enjoyed working outside in the beautiful fall weather and getting to use the power tools. Building with wood has been fun and a nice break from the studio.

No comments: