Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Sculpting a Mermaid Bracelet Master - The Design

I am currently working on a new mermaid bracelet master. Sculpting a new master is a long and tedious process, but it is my favorite part of jewelry design.

The idea for this new mermaid bracelet design came to me early one morning, before I had even had my first cup of coffee. That's when I grabbed a quick cup of Joe, a pencil and my design notebook. I started sketching, rough and quick, before any distractions could make me loose the vision in my head. Later, that day, after the the morning rush was over, I was able to sit down again and refine the design parameters. The total circumference, minus the cuff opening width, would be the length I would have to fit the whole scene in to. This left me with 7 inches. The height was my only loose variable, but, from experience, I know that 2-1/4 inches, is about the maximum height for comfortable wear. These dimensions allowed me to create a more detailed layout.

I scanned my pencil and paper layout into my computer, for safe keeping, and then printed it out to the exact dimensions. I always sculpt over clear glass, with the layout taped underneath. This keeps me from getting carried away, and within my dimensional boundries. The layout tends to get dirty, from the oils in the sculpting media that I use, and I can print out a clean copy as needed.

Next, I needed to find a clear glass jar with the exact diameter of the finished bracelet. With my dial calipers in hand, I rummaged through the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator. Success brought me to a jar of  Smucker's strawberry Jam. The perfect diameter and adequate height, but I had to find a new container for the remaining jam. Viola! Rubber Maid to the rescue. My family is getting used to these kind of surprises in the pantry, and don't even ask anymore.

Next, More of The sculpting Process...... (or How to Loose Track of Time)

No comments: