Thursday, March 25, 2010

Painting a Multi-Color Mermaid Resin Bracelet

I have been working on a process for "painting" my resin jewelry castings. This is my first large scale test of applying multiple colors of powered pigment right onto the mold surface before casting. Using a small artist brush, I applied each color separately to the silicone mold. Powdered pigments are hard to control, as the powder tends to fly around and stick where ever it lands. So I painted the rougher surfaces first, carefully wiping away any stray pigment with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Then I painted the smooth surfaces. The final step was filling the mold with clear resin mixed with gold pigment.

There was no way of knowing how the end result would look, until the next day when the bracelet could be removed from the mold. I was surprised at how well this worked. And how much fun it was to do. I took photos and listed her in my etsy store, and she sold the next morning. Thank you, Melissa.

Whoo-hoo! I get to make another one!
Mermaid Treasure Multi-Color Resin Cuff Bracelet

No comments: