Sunday, March 21, 2010

Something Different - Vintage Black Lace Resin Bracelet

I was rummaging through an old box of fabrics when I came across some lace I had bought years ago. This beautiful old lace gave me an idea. I started with 2 pieces of the vintage black Venetian lace, cut to 7 inches long and joined them with a row of jet black crystal beads. Next I cut and bent sheet brass to cover the raw edges. The sheet brass was too garish, so I covered it in black grosgrain ribbon. Then, I saturated the whole thing in resin. Next I drilled 4 tiny holes through the ribbon/sheet brass edging to attach the Swarovski crystal beads, extender chains and lobster claw clasps. Finally, I attached a Swarovski Crystal Pendant to each of the 7 bottom points of the lace. I used a special resin on the lace that stays soft and flexible, but still makes the lace water-proof and gives the lace enough body to stand on it's own. The challenge was determining how much resin was needed to keep the lace pliable enough to wrap easily around the arm, yet, strong and resilient without looking like shiny plastic. I think it turned out very sexy.

Vintage Black Lace Resin Bracelet

Vintage Black Lace Resin Bracelet

No comments: